El Salvador

El Salvador

Address:

Elder Garrett Markham
El Salvador San Salvador East Mission
PO Box #3362
San Salvador, El Salvador
Central America

garrett.markham@myldsmail.net

Monday, February 9, 2015

Teaching the Gospel and more about Garrett's area where he lives

Hey everyone!

This week was a great one! We taught about 36 lessons in total! Still no baptisms for the next little while. We should be baptizing one teenager but he won't come to church and is having a hard time with work and school. We had 8 people come to church with us yesterday and it was awesome! Only, they did the YW new beginnings for sacrament meeting so we got a few....comments on some stuff from the investigators who came for the first time. I wish they would do that stuff on a Saturday or something. Nothing too crazy happened this week. This week with Orlando we were going to bring him to a members house and have lunch and stuff so they can get to know him. But the member had training for his work so it got cancelled. So me and Elder Lowry just bought pizza and took to the family and had a lesson with them. We are teaching the 19 year old that we found last week that has had problems with drugs and other stuff and we are helping him change his whole life and find happiness and faith in Christ once again! It is great. He came to church and said he liked the whole thing which was good hahah. There's a member in our ward about his age and talked to us about how amazing and crazy it is that we are teaching him. She went to school with him and never thought he would be interested. I have learned so much on my mission to share the gospel with everyone. We can't judge who will except the Gospel. We just need to invite everyone. I love and miss you all! 

Love Elder Markham

So mom wanted a better explanation of my area. It's called San Bartolo in El Salvador if you guys can look it up on google that'd be cool. I just found out that it's a little south of the city San Salvador. It's close to a super cool lake and a few volcanoes surround it but they are still miles away. There are little parts of jungle area but the part I am in is a very inhabited area. It's not the city city but it's got tons of houses. It's hard to explain what the houses are like. They are very small and very close. There will be a giant block of houses and in between them are little passages that you have to walk in to get to the houses. Which makes it super dangerous with the gangs and stuff especially at night. Unfortunately the gangs run this country and there's always....problems and other stuff. Like we taught a guy yesterday that some gangsters mistook him as someone else so they shot him seven times! I've never had any problems with any of them. There's lots of areas that the members have told us to avoid so we don't get into trouble. There's a quick story but maybe I'll have to tell it next week. All the other people are pretty nice. Many people just except us because they think we are teaching the words of God and that's it so I'm doing my best to make it clear that we are here to baptize and only that because the authority has been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. But yeah it hasn't been too hot. I think it's because I'm used to it because I'm always sweating haha. Rainy season will be here in a few months so I'm excited about that! Try looking our house up on google maps and my area. Its San Bartolo, novena etapa, calle diagonal, casa 54 I think. It's a big house compared to all the other houses. 

Love Elder Markham

No comments:

Post a Comment