El Salvador

El Salvador

Address:

Elder Garrett Markham
El Salvador San Salvador East Mission
PO Box #3362
San Salvador, El Salvador
Central America

garrett.markham@myldsmail.net

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Garrett's testimony of why he is serving a Mission

Hey everyone!

This week was awesome! I completed my training in the mission and Saturday was my 4 month mark! Pretty fast and crazy huh? We get....the call...tomorrow night if we have changes. I am excited to see more places and stuff but I will be very sad to leave many people like the Zepeda family. But I guess that's all part of the mission. So I was lied to last week haha. They said we were going to a professional stadium...that just means renting out a nice small turf thing to play on. It was still super fun though! And hot . I got a little red. Today we are going to eat at burger king. We got coupons and I'm going to have a feast!!!!! Then we are going to a nearby lake and take pictures and stuff so we'll see how that goes! My Spanish is a little better every week but still kind of stressful since I just want to be the perfect missionary already. I have to remind myself that I can only do my best and that I've still got time haha. But I've become pretty good at taking what I can understand and guess at what the people are saying! It works most of the time...This week we taught a bunch of people. I've been able to feel the love for every investigator that we have and it helps me want to help them more. One investigator has come to church the past two weeks and a baptism. He is doing everything we invite him to do including all the reading and praying and we are even tying to help him overcome his addiction to smoking! He is progressing so much but he doesn't quite feel ready to accept a date for his baptism yet. He doesn't have a whole lot and lives with his sister. He's about 40 something. He also explained his story about his brother which made me so sad but it just helps me love him more and I am so thankful for this chance to bring happiness to these people. There's nothing else I would rather be doing then this work right now. I know that this church is true and nothing could ever make me say otherwise! I love you all so much and miss you all!

Love Elder Markham

**Garrett explained further to me that they past a couple of guys on the street that were talking and they just said "Hi" as they past.  One of the guys was this gentleman's brother and he told Garrett that his brother says very unkind things to him and doesn't treat him very well.  This is very heartbreaking to Garrett because he has such a close relationship with his own brothers that he can't help but feel very bad for his friend.  It is experiences like this that help Garrett love his mission and be happy to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and have the opportunity to teach people how they can be with their families forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment