El Salvador

El Salvador

Address:

Elder Garrett Markham
El Salvador San Salvador East Mission
PO Box #3362
San Salvador, El Salvador
Central America

garrett.markham@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Another Baptism...but more importantly Garrett's testimony of why he is there. And PICTURES!

Hey family!

I hope you all got that picture! Yep we had a baptism this Saturday for Salvador Hernandez. He is super great! This area hasn't had a baptism for about a year until now. Salvador was being taught for 3 changes before we finally baptized him. That's about 18 weeks haha. When I got to the area he had almost all the lessons, he just had tons of questions and was scared to be baptized. Me and my companion had been teaching him and trying to help him these past 6 weeks. We had that meeting with our mission President a little bit ago and received some great revelations for our area. We went to his house a little after and told him that we were just going to share a quick lesson with him that day then after the lesson we did a direct invitation to be baptized the following Saturday and he accepted and was baptized! It was super great to hear his story because I found out that the Lord had been preparing him for years!!!! When he was 18 his friend, who was a girl, was taking the lessons and since there wasn't a man he was just there so that they could have a man over 18 years old for the lesson. But he never really got into it too much until someone gave him a Book of Mormon a little bit ago. It was awesome! He asked me to baptize him and confirm him. It was a really great experience. There isn't much going on except we've finished another change. There's some crazy huge ants outside that when they are walking around with their wings out, they look like Dragons!!! They only come out this time of year and are super scary haha. There was also this cute little girl with frozen pajamas at one of our lessons. I showed her the picture of Mayli and Elena (Garrett's nieces) and said that it was little Elsa and Ana. She took it and was amazed haha. Well I'm excited to hear from all of you this week. I love you all!

Love Elder Markham

** Momma's Note:

I shared the news and story with Garrett about the miracle we witnessed as a family this past week in seeing his cousin get hit by a car, and go from life support to having the Dr.'s expect a full recovery although it will be a very long and painful one.  I told Garrett up front that his cousin would be ok, and then shared the details.  He said it was so much different getting the news like that so far from home, and wishes the best for his cousin as he will now join in our prayers for his full recovery, and also giving thanks for the miracle that he survived.

Garrett and I have an opportunity to exchange some more personal messages through email.  I keep them close to my heart and they truly make my whole Monday the best day of the week!  But I would like to share one of them that he sent this past Monday.  He shares his testimony of what he is truly learning as a missionary for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...and I wanted to share it with those who read his blog.  I am so proud of his service!

Thanks, I hope we can go again soon! It's such a great time at the temple! I love this work mom. I have learned so much and grown and changed. I look back and realize all the changes in my life before my mission that I should have done. But I know that this is one of the reasons I am here for two years. To convert myself. I love you so much mom. And even though we walk up hills for 4 hours straight sometimes, there is no other place I'd rather be. You guys are what keep me going and the few people here that we teach. I have to go but I love you so much!

Love Elder Markham

Garrett and his companion Elder Aranda at the baptism of Salvador Hernandez

Garrett at the El Salvador Temple...where he finds great peace

The El Salvador Temple
Huge "creepy ant things that look like Dragons!"




No comments:

Post a Comment